GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0918326583

From: <>
Subject: Help with "drixeling"
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 18:43:03 GMT

Hi, A friend of mine came across this word "drixeling" in the 18th century
will of a local countryman here in Cheshire, and we are both completely
flummoxed by what it means - I wondered if anyone posting to the ng might be
able to help? We've looked in the standard dictionaries without success.
The context for the word is a list of the items owned by this man and the
people who owe him money etc. He adds "...Master Denbighshire, a shoemaker,
to whom I lent a drixeling..."

Any ideas gratefully received!

Regards

Libby Cross

PS. Apologies if you have already come across this message cross-posted
elsewhere.