GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0918415693

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: The Book: My Ancestors Came With the Conqueror
Date: 7 Feb 1999 19:28:13 GMT

This may be of some use to Gentle Readers:

"From Cokayne's "The Complete Peerage," vol. XII, postscript to
Appendix L (regarding the 14 October 1066 Battle of Hastings),
"Companions of the Conqueror," pp. 47-48:

1. Robert de Beaumont, later first Earl of Leicester.
2. Eustace, Count of Boulogne.
3. William, afterwards third Count of Evreux.
4. Geoffrey of Mortagne, afterwards Count of Perche.
5. William Fitz Osbern, afterwards first Earl of Hereford.
6. Aimeri, Vicomte of Thouars.
7. Hugh de Montfort, seigneur of Montfort-sur-Risle.
8. Walter Giffard, seigneur of Longueville.
9. Ralph de Toeni, seigneur of Conches.
10. Hugh de Grandmesil, seigneur de Grandmesnil.
11. William de Warenne, afterwards first Earl of Surrey.
12. William Malet, seigneur of Graville.
13. Eudes, Bishop of Bayeux, afterwards Earl of Kent.
14. Turstin Fitz Rou.
15. Engenulf de Laigle, seigneur of Laigle.

(# 1-12 recorded by William of Poitiers, # 13 portrayed in the
battle scene on the Bayeux Tapestry, # 14-15 named by Orderic.)

Five more who were certainly in the Duke's army and almost
certainly at the battle:

16. Geoffrey de Mowbray, Bishop of Coutances.
17. Robert, Count of Mortain, afterwards first Earl of
Cornwall.
18. Wadard, believed to be a follower of the Bishop of Bayeux
19. Vital, believed to be a follower of the Bishop of Bayeux.
20. Goubert d'Auffay, seigneur of Auffay.

(# 16 named by William of Poitiers, # 17-19 portrayed in the
Bayeux Tapestry, # 20 said by Orderic to have taken part in the
English War before William became King of England.)

Tom Camfield - "

He may have more to say on all this.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas
Fortem Posce Animum
--

D. Spencer Hines --- "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For
he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er

Adrian Channing wrote in message
<>...
>Maggie Sypniewski wrote
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to find out if any of you have the book: MY ANCESTORS
CAME
>WITH
>> THE CONQUERER by Anthony J. Camp.
>>
>> Is this book, in your estimation, worth the paper it is printed
on,
>or
>> not? Please advise.
>>
>> Maggie Sypniewski in Michigan (near Motown)
>>

>Yes, its very good. Anthony Camp has an excellent reputation, a past
>director of the British "Society of Genealogists" . The booklet
compares
>the various extracts of names from the Battle Abbey Rolls (destroyed
1793)
>and those in the Falise rolls etc, and also notes those that can be
traced
>to the Domesday Book.
>
>But be warned, this will not prove that you ancestors came with the
>Conquerer. It is thought the Battle Abbey Rolls were probably a 14th
>century work, so its accuracy is in doubt. I think there are only
around a
>dozen people known with certainty to be with William at Hastings, and
if I
>remember correctly, I think only one of these had known descendants
>

>Adrian (Surrey, UK)

This thread: