GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0919107120

From: < >
Subject: Re: Y2K - 4 BC
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

On 13 Feb 1999 01:15:02 GMT , in article
<>, (Leslie
Mahler) wrote:

> Could one of our resident experts cite the source of the information
> that evil old King Herod actually died in 4 B.C.? In doing so, he
> calls into question the compatibility of our present system of date
> reckoning and the Slaughter of the Innocents?

This is discussed in chapter 16 of E G Richards's book on 'Mapping
Time' published by Oxford University Press last year. He says that

"Matthew (2:1) and Luke (1:5) agree that Jesus was born during the
reign of Herod the Great. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus
(37-95) establishes, by several lines of argument, that Herod died in
750 AUC. Josephus also tells us that he died shortly after a lunar
eclipse, but before the Passover; astronomers calculate that such an
eclipse took place on 13 March 750 AUC and the Passover would have
occurred at the end of that month. This evidence draws us
irresistibly to the conclusion that Jesus was born in or before 750
Ave (4 BC)."

--
Eric

This thread: