GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0919334820

From: <Michelle.Murphy%>
Subject: Alais of France
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:47 +0100 (BST)

John

Re: Alais of France

Her mother was indeed Constance of Castile.
Alais had one daughter by William II of Ponthieu: Marie, later
countess of
Ponthieu in her own right, who to judge from two of William's charters
was
probably born late in 1197 or (more likely) in 1198. (Alais and
William

Who did Marie marry, and did she have issue?

Also, I just wondered if someone could clarify the names of two of
Louis VII's children; his second daughter by Eleanor of Aquitaine and
his second daughter by Constance of Castile.

I thought their names were Alix and Alais, but "Alix" is often
referred to as Alais or Alice.....are these the correct names, and is
Alix a full name or short for Alexandra or Alexandrine, which are
slightly unusual medieval names?

thanks,

Michelle

This thread: