GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-03 > 0921598326

From: Gee Gee Hughes <>
Subject: Percy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:32:06 -0800

Hi Jay,

These Percy's are known as the Kildale Percys, and I can find no further
information them.

While it does not seem to fit in with your Percy information, I wonder if
and how they might be related to your Isabel de Percy d. 1368 (d/o
Henry de Percy K.G., 2nd Lord Percy of Alnwick b. 1299 nd d. 1352) who
married William de Aton? Both Percy families seem to have been in
Yorkshire at around the same time. I am posting this to the Gen-Medieval
list, in hopes that someone can help with corrections.

This information also came from an article in "The Colonial Genealogist",
by Robert Joseph Cuffman, MA, FAS/he, FSO, Associate Editor, entitled "The
Yorkshire Background of the Boyntons of Rowley".

Arnold de PERCY of Kildale - living 1109 - (Witnessed William I de Percy's
foundation charter to White Abbey before 1109 & prob. the first ancestor of
the Percy's of Kildale). (VCH Yorks NR 2:250, 2:216-17}
\
Arnold de PERCY - (also called Ernold), held land in Ormsby of Robert de
BRUS abt. 1119
\
Robert de PERCY d. bef. 1169/70 - custody of his heirs to Adam de
BRUS (Pipe R. 16 Hen. II)
\
William de PERCY - Lord of Kildale 1169 d. 1203 (VCH YOrks NR 2:250) m.
Agnes de Flamville, who m. 2nd. John Birkin. As a widow, she recovered her
husband's dower from his tenants. She made a grant to Guisborough Priory
"for the good of the souls of both my husbands." (VCH Yorks NR 2:250)
\
Walter de PERCY Lord of Kildale - confirmed a gift his mother made to
Basedale Priory, confirmed father's grants in Ormsby and gift his uncle
Hugh de Flamville made to Rieuvaulx Abbey.
\
William de PERCY Lord of Kildale d. abt. 1293/4 - Last few years of his
life he was paralyzed and of unsound mind. There was a struggle for his
property between his two sons, Arnold and the younger, William. William
successfully convinced his father before he died, to bestow the manor of
Kildale on him. There was a suit, which Arnold won (due to his father's
unsound mind), but for some reason William, held it for the rest of his
life. (VCR Yorks NR:2:251, 2:250-1)
\
William de PERCY Lord of Ormsby - (younger son) died seised in 1295 (VCH NR
2:278, 250-1)
\
Alexander de PERCY Lord of Ormsby 1295 (VCH Yorks NR 2:278)
\
John de PERCY - sometimes given as William. Died without male issue. (VCH
Yorks NR:278)
\
Juliana PERCY m. Sir Robert CONYERS d. 1392 (I descend from them).

Source: VCH NR - Victoria County History, North Riding.

If you should learn more, I would be very interested. :)

Gee Gee Hughes

This thread: