GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-06 > 0928736557

From: Reedpcgen< >
Subject: Re: Shorthose
Date: 7 Jun 1999 06:22:37 GMT

The earlier Shorthose family seems to have been situated in the counties of
Derby, York, and Lincoln. The index to wills in the Prerogative Court of
Canterbury, 1383-1558, shows a William Shorthose, of Willington, Derby who
died in 1500 [PCC 4 Moone]. I don't have the indexes to the Prerogative Court
of York here, but that would also be a good place to look.

Venn's Alumni of Cambridge also lists a John Shorthose, b. ca. 1633, son of
Robert Shorthose of Robert, of Willington, Derbyshire.

There is a four generation pedigree of the Shorthose family in the Visitations
of the North ca. 1480-1500, p. 45 [Surtees Society, v. 144]. There is also a
pedigree of the family in the Visitations of Yorkshire, Harleian Society, v.
16, p. 286, but I don't have that here, so I'm not certain how far it traces
the family.

There was a Bartholomew Shorthose baptized at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, on
18 September 1611. The name Bartholomew Shorthose occured in records of that
county several times.

pcr

This thread: