GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0931019188

From: "C.V. Compton Shaw" <>
Subject: Re: 'The Last Plantagenet'
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 11:26:28 -0500

John Steele Gordon wrote:

> "C.V. Compton Shaw" wrote:
> >
> > I have lineal descent from Henry Plantagenet, Earl of Lancaster to Major
> > Lawrence Smith who died in approxiately 1700 and who married Mary
> > Warren.
> > Mr. C.V. Compton Shaw from Dallas, Texas
>
> I assume you mean Major Lawrence Smith of Virginia, from whom I also
> descend. I have a descent for him from William the Lion, King of Scots,
> but not from any Plantagenet. I would much appreciate hearing details of
> this descent and citations for it.
>
> As for his wife, Rudolf Loeser identifies her as almost certainly Mary
> Debnam. See his two articles in The Virginia Genealogist: "Katherine
> (---) (Debnam) Grymes and Some Relatives" Vol. 41, No. 3 (July-Sept.
> 1997) pp. 163-171, and "Margaret (Debnam) Perrott and Some Relatives"
> vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 3-17.
>
> The main article identifying Lawrence Smith's ancestry is "The Townleys
> and Warners of Virginia and Their English Connections" by Mary Burton
> Derrickson McCurdy in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography.
> I'm afraid I can't lay my hands on the exact citation right now, but it
> was in the late 60's or early 70's.
I obtained one genealogy reference which indicates that the wife of
Major Lawrence Smith had a first name of "Mary" but that the last name
of his wife was unknown but intimated that her last name might be Warner
( Genealogies of Virginia Families; Vol. V.; Genealogical Publishing
Co., Inc., 1981, 576-577) . I obtained one genealogy lineage which
indicates that Major Lawrence Smith, as you suggested, is descended from
William I the Lion, King of Scotland (d. 1214) and that he had an
ancestor, Robert de Ros, who was a Magna Charta Surety (The Royal
Descents of 500 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States
by Gary Boyd Roberts, Genealogical Publish Co., Inc. pp,330-331). This
same source indicates that it is not certain what the last name of Major
Smith's wife was. It, also, appears to me that this source, the one you
rely on, is clearly incorrect in that it lists Elizabeth Townley and
Christopher Smith as the parents of Major Lawrence Smith. You can see by
this same source that Elizabeth Towneley was already in America before
Major Lawrence Smith (her supposed son) immigrated to it. This being the
case, this genealogical history, as you purpose, on it's face, through
logic, is in error and mine is correct. Please note that I did not do
the original genealogical research on this line; and, as a result, do
not have all of the sources necessary for the proof of the same. This
same line is proved through the Knights of the Garter orginization
which, I understand, requires rigerous proof.
C.V. Compton Shaw

This thread: