GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0931564363

From: Stewart Baldwin< >
Subject: Re: Names question
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 23:52:43 GMT

On 9 Jul 1999 15:49:44 -0700, (Vickie Elam
White) wrote:

>I have been reading some English christening records, dated
>in the mid 1500s to early 1600s, which contain a
>name that has me stumped. The names are written
>in Latin, which is no surprise. So "John" is written
>as "Johannes." However, I have seen several entries
>for a male named "Johes" or "Johis." Is this "Joseph"
>or some other name?

"Johes" is a common abbreviated form for "Johannes". You will usually
find some mark of abbreviation written above the name (and usually by
the "h"). Similarly "Johis" abbreviates "Johannis", the genetive form
for Johannes.

>Also, is "Jacobus" Latin for "James"?

Yes. (It could also be Jacob, but that was a fairly rare name during
the period you are working in.) Other less than obvious ones would
include Gulielmus for William (also Latinized as Willelmus), Egidius
for Giles, Xpoferus for Christopher (the "Xp" actually being a
"chi-rho", abbreviating "Christ"), and Misericordia for Mercy.

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: