GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0931566480

From: John Carmi Parsons <>
Subject: Re: Names question
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

"Johes" is an abbreviated form of "Johannes." "Johis" abbreviates the genetive
"Johannis" ("of John"). These abbreviations were used in the medieval period
both to save the scribe some labor and to allow more text to be written on
expensive parchment.

"Jacobus" indeed translates as "James."

John Parsons

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Vickie Elam White wrote:

> I have been reading some English christening records, dated
> in the mid 1500s to early 1600s, which contain a
> name that has me stumped. The names are written
> in Latin, which is no surprise. So "John" is written
> as "Johannes." However, I have seen several entries
> for a male named "Johes" or "Johis." Is this "Joseph"
> or some other name?
>
> Also, is "Jacobus" Latin for "James"?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Vickie Elam White