GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0931656861

From: Stewart Baldwin< >
Subject: Re: Names question
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:34:21 GMT

On 10 Jul 1999 09:57:20 -0700, (Vickie Elam
White) wrote:

>Renia,
>
><< I've had another thought about this. Re the marriage vows, people say "I
>give
>you my troth", meaning loyalty, fidelity. Think of Faith, Hope and Charity?
>Not to mention Chastity! >>
>
>I bet you're right. Her sister was named Faith, according to their
>father's will.
>How interesting, I'd never seen Troth as a name before.
>

>Vickie Elam White

Since you know from the will that there was a daughter Faith, I think
that a more likely scenario would be that the parish register said
"Faith", but that it was misread as "Toth" by the transcriber. After
all, capitals "T" and "F" look a lot alike in many handwritings. Of
course, the best thing to do, if possible, would be to check the
original instead of relying on somebody else's transcription.

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: