GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0932337420

From: P. Freeman< >
Subject: Family of Rudston of Hayton : some preliminary results
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:37:00 +0100 (BST)

Those of you with long memories may remember that I have been
undertaking research connected with Hayton, in the East Riding
of Yorkshire, and the Lords of the Manor (more correctly, Lords
of one of the *three* Manors in the parish) from before 1200 to
1745, the Rudstons.

This research is still ongoing, but I thought some of you might
be interested in a very basic outline of the descent of the family.

It has been extremely difficult to establish proof of descent from
father to son for long periods, and it is highly likely that on at
least two occasions the manor and lordship passed to a younger brother
or more distant member of the family. Established links are indicated
by a "|" sign between names.

The family of Rudston (of Hayton) almost certainly originated in Rudston,
East Yorkshire, and to have been connected with the household of de Gant,
whose family held an estate around Bridlington. Possibly the marriage in
1142/43 of Alice, sister of Gilbert de Gant, to Roger de Mowbray brought
a branch of the Rudstons to Hayton, where they later held an estate of
the Mowbray fee : the picture is uncertain, since Osbert the Sheriff/
William le Tourniant/Millicent the heiress & Herbert the Chamberlain/
Herbert de Moreville and Richard his son are all attested at Hayton before
any of the Rudstons. The 1185 "Inquest of the Templars" also reveals a
"Ricardus de Galhetoft", which may be for R. de Morville.

At any rate, the Rudstons are well documented in at Haydor, in Lincolnshire
(Trehoe Wapentake) from c.1160 to c.1225; holding, towards the end of that
period, of the fee of Creon. Around [1197x1201] Walter de Rudston gave land,
a mill and his capital messuage at Hayton to St. Peter's York (York Minster),
but until I can examine the Cartulary of Warter Priory at the Bodleian, or
Farrer's MS transcript of it, I lack the details of other transactions carried
out by Walter in Hayton in this period.

But to the pedigree, fwiw :-

1. Roger. Attested [<1161] - 1180. Connected by marriage to the family
of [de Bovington?] - "Rabot fratre suo", 1176

2. Walter. Attested 1199-1219. Obiit before 1225.
Connected by marriage to the family of de Hessle
A brother, Stephen, attested [1174x1184]-1205.

3. Roger.Attested 1219-1252.

4. Walter.Attested 1252-1285.

5. John.Attested 1293-c.[1318-1326]

6. John.Attested 1315/16-1349.

7. Walter.Attested 1361-1391; 1396/7-1404.
Probable ties of marriage to the family of Ughtred.

8. Robert.Attested 1392-1398; 1408-1446/7.
Probable ties of marriage to the families of Salveyn & Palmes.
Possible links by marriage to the family of Rocliffe.

[9. Walter.Only attested in 1444.]

10. Robert.Attested 1472-1489.

11. Walter.Attested 1500-1509; obiit 1509/10.
1 brother (John, later Lord Mayor of London), and 4 sisters :
but I have some residual doubt as to the relationship.

Beyond this point the pedigree gets much more elaborate, because better
documented. It must be stressed that the pedigrees of the family in all the
published works - including the Visitations - are completely fictional up
to and including the father of Walter[11], and many of them contain errors
down to the early 1600s.

If anyone would like to see it, I can also provide a fragment or two of a
pedigree for the Rudstons of Rudston, although my aim there was to try and
establish how early the two branches of the family went their separate ways
(assuming they had a common origin). So far, I have not found a common
ancestor, and there remains a slight possibility that the place of origin of
the Rudstons of Hayton was Radston (Northants) and not Rudston (Yorks).

Regards
Peter Freeman
University of Leeds

This thread: