GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0933096684

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Wrath Is Good
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:31:24 -1000

Vide infra.

Very true.

Ivan Groznij would certainly concur, as you point out.

Wrath is good within private families too --- in moderation, and with
the caveats previously noted. [Vide infra.]

Sometimes it is a good thing if a leader is seen as something of a son
of a bitch by his political adversaries on the world stage.

During the Cold War, both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan [the Evil
Empire remark] had that advantage.

Jimmy Carter did not. His image was that of the good Christian leader
who would not even hurt a 'killer rabbit.'

Bill Clinton is seen as someone who can be rolled. Heads of State of
other countries have learned that he can often be pushed further and
that one should never take the first offer from him. Jacques Chirac
[President of France] has even said it. They do fear Hillary and they
know that Bill is indeed pudendum-whipped, which introduces a new
dimension into the decision-making calculus of these 'foreign'
leaders.

Vladimir and Ivan Groznij would no doubt be amused.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas
--

D. Spencer Hines --- "Probitas Laudatur et Alget" [Honesty is praised
and starves.], Decimus Junius Juvenalis (Juvenal) [c. 50 A.D.-- c.130

Sergei <> wrote in message

> I couldn't agree more.
>
> Wrath is productive, especially in statesmen and political leaders.
> And in Medieval times Wrath was the driving force behind organized
> society. Leaders must inspire Awe in their subjects. It doesn't
> work out otherwise.
>
> Grand Prince Vladimir would concur, and a handful of his successors
> (his son Yaroslav the Wise, his grandson Vsevolod, his
grand-grandson
> Vladimir Monomachos, and further down the line George Longarms,
Andrew
> of Bogolyub, Vsevolod the Big Nest, Yaroslav, Alexander of the Neva,
> Ivan Moneybag, all of them renowned Princes, but very often referred
> by their contemporaries as not altogether preposessing and quite
> ill-tempered).
>
> And even more so would Ivan the Terrible (or, the translation I
prefer,
> John the Awesome), a descendant of Vladimir.
> He said on one occasion when asked about his brutal ways:
> "This is good for the state, and awesome for the enemies."
>
> Good luck,
>
> Sergei
>
> P.S. Although, in the case of Dobrognewa, "Dobro" means "Kindness",
> and cannot be interpreted as "Good". Trust the native speaker.
>

> In article <7nid9e$89v$1@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,
> "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote:
> > _Dobro_ could also be taken as _Good_.
> >
> > Good Wrath? Perhaps, wrath is often _Good_ --- as in _The Wrath
of
> > God_ frequently providing valuable object lessons to the wayward
in
> > the Holy Bible.
> >
> > Over the past 40 years or so, many men have been trained to think
that
> > _Wrath Is Bad_ --- you know, "one of those useless patriarchal
> > leftovers that we need to get rid of. Control yourself."
> >
> > Many contemporary social, political and economic problems can be
> > traced in large part to this fuzzy-headed thinking. Children need
> > see Good Wrath in action from their Fathers, on some occasions.
> >
> > Honest Wrath Can Be A Good Thing. Now, I did NOT say that it
ALWAYS
> > is. It should be focused, generally verbal and not physical, and
of
> > limited duration.
> >
> > Wimpish Men, who are pudendum-whipped, will no doubt disagree.
> >
> > I suspect that Velikij Knyaz Vladimir would understand perfectly
what
> > I'm talking about. He was certainly no wimp --- nor was he
> > pudendum-whipped.
> >
> > D. Spencer Hines
> >
> > Lux et Veritas
> > Exitus Acta Probat