GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-09 > 0938729924

From: <>
Subject: Re: Ruvigny
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:18:44 GMT

In article <7t0fa0$p5$1@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,
"D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote:

> So, people back off and don't confirm data --- for fear that they will
> "offend" someone. I see it happen all the time.
>
> There are flawed GEDCOMS and other genealogical data all over the WWW
> that remain uncorrected.
>
> Why?
>
> Because, folks are afraid that if they draw the errors to the
attention
> of the folks who have contributed the data, and/or put it up, into a
web
> page, that they will cease cooperating and perhaps just pull the data.
>
> People often stay quiet out of fear and greed.

I can't speak for the professionals, but I'm on about a dozen name and
regional genealogy lists, and, without exception that I've seen,
discovery of an error is a cause for rejoicing.

Fred L. Curry

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead an rotton,
either write thing worth reading or do things worth the writing."
Benjamin Franklin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

This thread: