GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-10 > 0939169462

From: Adrian Channing <>
Subject: Viscount Montgomery of Ards
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:24:22 -0400

Mark wrote,

> I would appreciate any help on the ancestry of Hugh, 1st Viscount
Montgomery of
> Ards, a jacobean(?) Ulster plantation owner, and on that of his wife. I
am
> descended of his daughter who married into the Trench family (later Earls
of
> Clancarty).

>From Complete Perage Vol IX pp 134-5 and 138-9 and vol XIV corrections:

Sir John Montgomerie of Ardrossan m1 Agnes of the Isles
[perhaps Adrossan is the same as what is now Adross Castle, about 10 miles
north of Inverness]
]
Alexander (<1413-?1470); s&h; suc his father between 1426/7 and Nov 1429;
cr Lord Montgomerie {Scottish) shortly before 3 July 1445; m Margaret sis
of Robert 1st Lord Boyd and 2d of Sir Thomas Boyd of Kilmarnock (she was
living in Sep 1453)
]
Alexander Montgomerie (-1452 vp); 1st s&h aparent, styled Master of
Montgomerie; m Elizabeth sister of Patrick, 1st Lord Hailes and 1d of Sir
Adam Hepburn, of Hailes presumably by Janet d of Sir William Borthwick.

His 1st son was Alexander (c1445-?1468 before his g-f) m < 1459 Catherine d
of Gilbert Kennedy 1st Lord Kennedy by his wife Catherine d of Herbert
Maxwell, Lord Maxwell and left Hugh (1459/60-) who was created Earl of
Eglintoun.

His 2nd son was Robert M. from whom descened

Adam Montgomery of Braidstone, Scotland m Margaret d of John or Hugh
Montgomery of Haselhead
]
Hugn Montgomery (-Newtown, co Down 15 May and bur there 8 Sep 1636 aged
about 76 Will pr 1636); s&h; He was knighted 15 May 1605 at Richmond, and
in that year emigrated to Ireland; cr 3 May 1622 Viscount Montgomery of the
Great Ardes; m1 c1587 Elizabeth (-1625) 2d of James Shaw of Greenock; m2
1625, in Scotland, Sarah (-bur 29 March 1636 at Holyrood, Will dated 22 Apr
1628 at Lochwood) widow of John Fleming, Earl of Wigtoun, and formerly of
Sir James Johnston and d of John Maxwell, Lord Herries of Terregles by
Agnes suo jure Baroness Herries of Terregles. Lord Montgomery was
seriously injured by the overturning of his coach after her funeral. He
had no issue by Sarah

Hugh Montgomery's next brother was George, Bishop of Meath 1610-21

Burke's Extinct Peerage 1883 gives one more generation of the above gap:

Adam M (-c1550), 4th Laird of Braidstane (g-gs of the above Robert) m
eldest d of Colquhoun of Luss left two sons

1. Adam, his heir
2. Robert ancestor of the Montgomerys of Grey Abbey, co Down now (ie 1883)
represented by Hugh M Esq of that place.

The elder son,

Adam, 4th Laird of Braidstane m d of John Montgomery, of Haselheads, and
had four sons; the 2nd, George , was bishop of Meath, and left an only dau
and heir Jane, wife of Nicholas St Lawrence, Earl of Howth

Adrian (Surrey, UK)

This thread: