GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-11 > 0942004696

From: <>
Subject: Fwd: Kenneth McAlpin Tartan & Coat of Arms
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 14:58:16 EST

--part1_0.2b836c05.255733d8_boundary

Full-name: OR826
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:08:52 EST
Subject: Re: Kenneth McAlpin Tartan & Coat of Arms

In a message dated 11/07/1999 6:17:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Unfortunately Kenneth McAlpin (I presume you mean the 9th century king of
> the
> Scots and - from 843 - the southern Picts) had no tartan (in the sense of a
> pattern unique to his clan - he may have worn brightly checked cloth) nor
> coat
> of arms (in the sense used from medieval times onwards).
>
> Chris Price

It may be true that old Ken didn't have a fancy tartan, but there is a
handsome MacAlpin tartan, which you can find at:
http://www.lindaclifford.com/MacAlpine.html

general site, Linda Clifford - http://www.lindaclifford.com/Tartan.html

this one shows both modern and ancient tartan
http://www.lochassyntmills.com/tartans-index-mac.html#Mac

general site: Index of Unusual tartans -
http://www.scotchcorner.com/royaltar-index.html

If you fool around with these chasing links, I think you can find a picture
of the MacAlpin crest. It has a severed head, with the words "cunich bas
Alpan"

http://members.aol.com/Maddscott1/index.html
http://www.celticfaire.com/merchants.htm

regards,