GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-11 > 0942111652

From: "JOHN P. RAVILIOUS" <>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Balliols/Comyns]
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:40:52 -0500

Monday, November 8, 1999

The following descents from John _the Red_ Comyn are based
primarily on CP (vol. I, pp.304-310 - Earldom of Atholl):

1. John _the Red_ Comyn, lord of Badenoch, slain 1306;
m. Joan de Valence.

1. Joan Comyn, b. ca. 1293, d. 1326.
m. David of Strathbogie, Earl of Athol (forfeited titles
in Scotland 1314, 'restored' by Edward II - his descendants
were summoned over the years to English parliaments by
writs directed "David [de] Strabolgi comiti Athol"). D. 1326

1. David of Strathbogie, Earl of Athol/Lord Strathbogie,
b. 1 Feb 1308/09; slain in combat at Kilblane, 30 Nov.
1335. m. Catherine de Beaumont, dau. of Henry de
Beaumont (titular Earl of Buchan).

1. David of Strathbogie, Earl of Athol/Lord Strathbogie,
b. ca. 1332; d. 10 Oct. 1369. m. Elizabeth Ferrers,
daughter of Henry, 2nd Lord Ferrers of Groby

1. Elizabeth, birthdate uncertain.
m. 1) Sir Thomas Percy (2nd son of 1st Earl of
Northumberland), ca. 1377; he d. 1388

1. Sir Henry Percy, d. 25 Oct. 1432. Spouse
unknown

1. Elizabeth, m. 1)before 1432, Thomas Burgh
(other data not in file)

1. Thomas Burgh, born before 1432,
identified as her son and heir.

2. Margery, m. Henry Grey, 6th Lord Grey of
Codnor (no issue beyond Henry Grey, 7th Lord
Grey who d.s.p.)

m. 2) Sir John le Scrope (5th son of Henry,
Lord Scrope of Masham), ca. 1391

1. Elizabeth, m. Sir Thomas Clarell (by whom
several issue and lengthy published descents)

2. Philippa, b. ca. 1361; d. 1395
m. 1) Sir Ralph Percy, 1376 (annulled);
2) John Halsham, of Coombs, co. Sussex

1. John Halsham (descents unknown)

2. Aymer de Athol, m. Mary

1. Isabel, m. Ralph Eure (again, from whom several
lengthy descents

2. John Comyn, son and heir (slain at Bannockburn, 1314)

3. Elizabeth, m. Gilbert Talbot, 2nd Lord Talbot (again, from
whom several lengthy descents, e.g. the Lords Talbot; the
Butlers, Earls of Ormond (from whom, Anne Boleyn, for one))

I have not shown the additional information on the descents down
from the le Scrope/Clarell, Eure or Talbot marriages (which I have only
in part: these are my lines of descent), although anyone interested
should let me know.

I did find the other (Bourbon) information I had mentioned earlier,
which follows (quoting Sir Iain Moncrieffe of that Ilk, from his
excellent, if sometimes theoretical, work, _The Highland Clans_(New
York: C. N. Potter, 1967), p. 121:

"During the long wars that followed [the murder of John _the
Red_ Comyn], King Robert destroyed the Cummins. The Red Cummin's
only son, rightful Lord of Badenoch and chief of the name, was
killed in action against his father's slayer on the field of
Bannockburn. His heiresses carried abroad the family claim to
the Scottish throne: and it is ironical to reflect that when the
exiled Stuarts (heirs of Bruce) fled to refuge in France, the
then heir of Balliol and of the Red Cummin was their host King
Louis XIV himself: today it is the Duke of Parma. The junior
co-heir of the Red Cummin, curiously enough, is the Premier
Baron of England (Lord Mowbray and Stourton), who quarters the
Arms of Cummin and has returned to live in Scotland."

Nemo me impune lacessit.

John

This thread: