GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-01 > 0949119232

From: Francisco Antonio Doria <>
Subject: Re: Re : Some Unsolved problems
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:13:52 -0000

1/29/00 2:08 AM Dave Hinz remarked:

>Level:Description:
>
>1Rock solid. Primary record; no doubt; photocopies on file.
>
>2Secondary info. Trusted source citing specific primary
>source. (this should be what we strive to produce).
>
>3Good info. Verbal or written source, with no specific
>primary source cited. "Grandma came from Pommerania."
>
>4Good lead. Verbal or written (or digital) notes from unknown,
>questionable, or un-verified sources. A good place to start
>when deciding what information to try to prove, or disprove.
>
>5Educated guess, or hunch. "Well, his name is Haagensen, and
>he's living with an older guy named Haagen, who may be his
>father."
>
>I'm open to (constructive) criticism of the above. Too many more
>levels, and it gets silly (I'll call this one a 72% record...), but
>3 seems too few to me.
>

>Dave Hinz
>
> (Dave Hinz)

Let me give an example of the way I proceed in a doubtful case. In 1549
Dr. Tomé de Sousa, first governor-general of Brazil, arrived in this
cuntry. He brought over with him one Garcia `daVila' (literally: from the
village), his `criado' - someone educated at a nobleman's expense. The
governor gave this Garcia a huge land holding and made him very rich,
before moving back to Portugal.

We claim that Garcia Davilla was the bastard son of Tomé de Sousa. For:

1 - Mss 17th century genealogies give the name of two bastards of Tomé de
Sousa, Garcia and Francisco `de Sousa.' Garcia is said to have died `in
the Indias.'

2 - Garcia and Francisco are the obsessive names in the descent of Garcia
Davilla, until the early 19th century (and in female lines, until today).

3 - There is a letter to Tomé de Sousa by Jesuit missionary Nóbrega where
the priest says, `I look at him and can see you, ...

I simply present my case. chico

This thread: