GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-01 > 0949178983

From: "Shroud" <>
Subject: Re: Anne Talbot & Thomas Wharton
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:49:43 GMT

I found it on several personal web sites, but they left no sources. I
checked at LDS, and they did have her as a daughter of Thomas Wharton. She
was also known as Frances, b. cir. 1525 at Whaton & Mateby, Westmoreland,
England. The family seems to out of range for most personal genealogies,
and therefore, most of the documented information is only found in the
peerage books, (Burkes Complete, etc.)
I know nothing of any other children. You may already know this, but
Thomas Wharton had two siblings, Joanne & Florence. Joanne married John
Fulthorpe, and Florence is shown to have married Sir Thomas Forster. This
is probably wrong, because the dates would suggest that Forster was born in
the 1520's. Feorina was actually the one to marry Thomas Forster. Hope
some of this helps.

Travis

>The Complete Peerage Vol XII (ii) gives Thomas Wharton, Lord Wharton (who
>was born about 1495 and d Aug 1568) had only two marriages:
>
>1stly before 4 July 1518 Eleanor d of Sir Brian Stapilton, of Wighill, co
>York. She was still living in Mich. Term 1547.
>
>2ndly 18 Nov 1561, at Sheffield, Anne, the childless widow of John Bray 2nd
>Lord Bray (-19 Nov 1557) and d of Francis Talbot 5th Earl of Shrewsbury by
>his m1. Anne d 3 Feb 1584/5
>
>On his imposing alabaster tomb in the chapel at Healaugh, lie Sir Thomas
>Wharton and his two wives, he a knight in armour, they in elegant gownes,
>one having chains round her neck and on her bodice. Round the tomb are
>dainty figures of knights and ladies. (probably representing his issue).
>There is apparently another M.I. at Kirkby Stephen.
>
>CP does not give details of his issue. except the eldest son Thomas, b
>1520.
>
>From the dates above, it would seem probable that Feorina was by m1. Given
>the large gap between his marriages, a rough estimate of Feorina's age may
>give you the answer.
>
>Can you let me know your source for Feorina and if you have details of
>other brothers or sisters?
>

> Adrian (Surrey, UK)

This thread: