GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-03 > 0952983857

From: "Lyle R. (Andy) Anderson" <>
Subject: On Robertson, Ref: Fergus of Galloway
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:44:17 -0800

Awhile back I posted a footnote by Robertson to the Chronicles
of The Isle of Man reference Elizabeth, the alleged daughter of Henry I,

of England as it related to her marriage to Fergus of Galloway and their

daughter Affrica marrying Olaf, the King of the Isle of Man.

The name 'Robertson' did not ring any memory bells within the group.

Thus, a search was conducted and the following is the result.

On Robertson: One must search the following names;

1. Robertson, Eben William, 1815-1874;
2. Robertson, Ebenezer William; and,
3. Robertson, E. William.

Books published (that were found)

1. Scotland Under Her Early Kings.
Call No: DA775 .R624 1862
Published: Edinburgh - Edmonston & Douglas 1862
Location: University of British Columbia, Main Library
(archives);
University of Minnestota, Twin Cities, Wilson
Annex, Sub-Basement.

2. Historical essays in connection with the land, the church, &
etc.,.
Call No: 904 .R54
Call No: HC12 .R65
LC Control No: 04003267
Published: Edinburgh, Edmonston & Douglas, 1872
Location: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Wilson Annex,
Sub-Basement, under call No: 904 . R54.

3. Scotland Under Her Early Kings: A history of the kingdom to the
close of the thirteenth century.
Call No: Ba. 5 .25
Published:
Location: University of Edinburgh, Scotland. Main library,
Special collections.

Note: By the content descriptions, I would suggest item 1 & 3 are the
same book, and item two may well be the same / similiar.

On Fergus: Vol I, page 356-357;

"The history of Galloway of Galloway is blank from the time when the
father of Kenneth the First was slain upon the borders of Kyke, until
the age in which the mutinous spirit of its unruly contingent to David's
army more then counterbalanced the utmost efforts of their reckless
valour. Three centuries of antagonism appear to have engendered a
feeling of bitter hostility between the Galwegians and their neighbours
of Scottish Cumbria and Lothians; whilst their continual encroachments
upon the ancient kingdom of Strath Clyde must, from a very early period,
have tended to throw the people of that province upon the protection of
the Scottish kings, and materially to advance the policy which
eventually placed a branch of the Mac Alpin family upon the
Scoto-Cumbrian throne.
At some remote era the Lord of Galloway became dependant upon the king
of Scotland, and Fergus, the first known prince of the province, was an
attendant on certain state occasions at the royal court, whilst he
acknowledged the superiority of his contemorary David by payment of a
certain tribute in time of peace, and by a contingent of soldiery in
war; resembling, in other respects, an ally rather then a vassal, and
enjoying a considerable degree of independance within his hereditary
dominions. He married Elizabeth, a natural daughter of Henry the First,
and Afreca, his daughter by this union, became the wife of Olave and the
mother of Godfrey, kings of Man and the Isles; the latter connection,
apparently involving him in the attempts of Somerled, Mac Heth, and
others, who opposed the reigning family, either in the hope of advancing
their own rival claims, or through a repugnance to the introduction of a
novel system. It was in Galloway that Donald Mac Heth sought his last
retreat, and amidst the mountains and moors of the same locality the
discomfited conspiritors seem to have hoped, after their defeat at
Perth, to elude the pursuit of Malcolm. Twice was the king baffled in
his attempts to penetrate the province; as much, probaly, from the
natural difficulties of the country, as from the magnitude of the
opposition he encountered; but on the third occasion he was successful.
Fergus, reduced at length to liege submission, retired, either of his
own accord or from compulsion, into the monastery of Holyrood, where he
died in the course of the following year; the whole of Galloway,
thoroughly subdued, was brought into direct fuedal subjection to the
Scottish crown; and a conspiracy, which at one time threatened to entail
the loss of a crown, through the enery and abilities of the youthful
sovereign, or of his advisors, terminated in acquistion of a
principality".

So, reference Elizabeth in the above, nothing new is really said.

Note:

There are seven (7) genealogy charts contained within Vol II. I tried
to scan them, however
the paper is so dark that once the process is complete, little can be
read. I then took them to a photo copy shop where they have the ability
to reduce the background colour. This worked well on 6 of the 7
charts. I then tried to get them into .pdf format so that I could send
them to anyone who might want them, however, every time I tried that I
created a fatal error that shut me down.
So, until I get this software clich solved there will be no .pdf files.

I have the books at home for two weeks, and plan on extending my loan
for two more. If there
is something / somebody you may want info on, please ask and I'll see if
they are found within.
Very little photocopying would be appropiate as the books are 128 years
old and very brittle.

I plan on submitting his comments on the following over the next week;
(or so)

1. Eirik Bloodaxe;
2. Maccas;
3. Ragnar Lothbroc;