Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-03 > 0953153176

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: More on Collateral Descent
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:46:16 GMT

Spot On!

_Collateral Relationships_ ---- Yes.

_Collateral Descent_ of X from Y ---- No. Gibberish.

Mr. Smyth is moving the goalposts now.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"To be learned about [the Middle Ages] is a ridiculous affectation in
any man who means to be useful to the present age. Down to this aera
let us read history: from this aera, and down to our own time, let us
study it." Henry St. John, Viscount Bolingbroke [1678-1751] (1735)
"Truth lies within a little and certain compass, but error is immense."

"Vickie Elam White" <> wrote in message

| Richard Smyth wrote --
| > If one glances at a work like Hicks' on
| > Warwick or Altshul's on the Clares, one recognizes immediately that
| medieval
| > family history requires an understanding of collateral
| I don't think the participants in this discussion dismiss the
| of collateral relationships. I for one think that understanding the
| various
| relationships is essential. And that's one reason why terminology is
| so important. As someone else in this thread said, each field has its
| own language and those who chose to work in a field should understand
| that language.
| Vickie Elam White

This thread: