GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-03 > 0953859383

From: "John Clare" <>
Subject: Re: Life expectations
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:56:23 -0000

There was a program on UK television a few years ago where a London crypt
was renovated and the several hundred bodies were all removed. As all of
them had a plaque on the coffin, it was possible to age the bodies fairly
precisely. The experts were asked to age them independently and all the
methods led to considerable underaging. I don't know whether the problem has
been rectified yet, but life expectation based upon looking at bodies seems
deeply flawed at the moment, I have a suspicion that dates are based on life
expectation rather than the other way round in some cases so that there is a
self fulfilling ordinance involved. The main case was a lady by the name of
Courtauld, who was a silversmith and who was painted by the artist Zoffany.
She was aged at about 45 but she actually died in her eighties. Her
descendents went on to found the Courtald textile concern.
Hope this adds something
John
"Dr. George Tsambourakis" <> wrote in message
> I was wondering if any individuals or Uni's did
> a study about life expectations for males and females
> and how these improved (or other wise) over the centuries.
>
> I did a few quick calculations, and it appears that in the 12th
> century, life expectation for a man was 38-40 years and
> for a women 53-55 years.
> Average marriage age was 17 for man, 14 for woman.
> I know it is based on a very small sample and therefore it is
> questionable.
> I hope that there is out there somebody who did study this
> because (I have noticed) many birth dates (years) and/or
> death dates (years) are based on guess work.
>
> regards
>
> Dr. George Tsambourakis
> Omega Thoroughbreds
> Email: