GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-04 > 0955736213

From: "Ivor West" <>
Subject: Re: Walter de Cornwall, son of Richard Plantagenet, Earl of Cornwall
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:16:53 +0100

Douglas,

Lysons' Cornwall shows that the manor of Brannel was granted to Richard,
Earl of Cornwall who gave it to Richard, his natural son by Joan de
Valletort [Oxton]. CFF244 of 1270 also carries a note that Earl Richard was
the father of Richard and Joan by Joan de Oxtone. The Lysons also say that
Geoffrey de Cornwall, a Carmelite friar and writer who flourished about
1300, was born at Court, the manor house of Brannel. Richard and Walter
were probaly born c.1250 so Geoffrey could have been either's son. Vivian
also has a Geoffrey de Cornwall of the same period as the father of
Elizabeth who married William de Champernon (1314 - 1353). (Perhaps
Geoffrey had opted for the mendicant austerities of the White Friars after
having first tasted the joys of married life.)

CFF567 of 1343 has John, son of William de Cornwall, and Margery his wife
giving the manor of Brannel and the advowson of the church (St. Stephen's)
to Ralph de Treiagu and, after his death, to David Hendour and Isabella [de
Cornwall?]. The Lysons also say that the elder de Cornwall branch died out
in the 14th century, the heiress marrying into Hendower (see also CFF 566)
and their heiress into Tanner. The younger branches of de Cornwall became
Cornwall of Burford, Shropshire, Hereford and Kings Nymet in Devon. If the
elder branch is thought to be Walter - William - John - Isabella, it seems a
bit tight with William born 1287 and Isabella married in 1343. Of course,
Ralph de Treiagu could have been a brother of John, Isabel being Ralph's
daughter. Margaret could still have been enfeoffed by Walter with
Nansbighen as a marriage portion but it doesn't sound like Brannel (unless
only a small piece of it) if Treiagu and Hendower were given it by CFF567.

Court is about a mile outside the village of St. Stephen-in-Brannel. The
farmhouse called Brannel is a further half mile south. Nanjeth,or Lanjeth
as it is known today, (the Cornish place-name elements Nan- and Lan- are
sometimes interchangeable, Nan- > Lan-, which is confusing, as one means
valley and the other means enclosure), lies further out to the east of St.
Stephen. As Court is an English word, it is possible that it might have
carried an earlier Cornish name, like Nansyrgh or Nansbighen, which has
since been lost. Nan- ( Nans-) means valley, -sergh > -serth means steep,
and -byghan means small. So, on the face of it, even if they are the same
place, a small steep valley doesn't seem to take us much further, although
Court does lie at the top of the valley of St. Stephen's Coombe, now
shortened to Coombe, and the farmhouse Brannel is on the edge of Coombe.
However coincidental that may be, Court seems a little more likely than
Lanjeth as the traditional capital farm of the manor but these places are so
close together they could be all one and the same. The EPNS for Cornish
Place-name Elements suggests that Nan > Lan + byghan = Lanvean or Laddenvean
(byghan > bean > pean > vean). There is a village of Nanpean a couple of
miles north of St. Stephen but there could be quite a few permutations of
the elements.

No mention of the Peverels though.

Ivor West