GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-07 > 0964068168

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Haskell involvement in battle of Hastings
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 05:42:48 +0100

The story is also quite fanciful and not credible in the least.

It sounds like just the sort of thing that a fraudulent genealogist
might gin up.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

"Todd A. Farmerie" <> wrote in message
| wrote:
| >
| > I'm curious if their are any sources that list
| > the nobles that took part in the battle of
| > Hastings, especially on the side of William the
| > Conqueror.
| > According to Americana Illustrated, Volume 21 No.
| > 3, a publication of the American Historical
| > Society, Third Quarter, 1927. the Haskell coat of
| > arms' crest was created following the Battle.
| > Here's how the article states it:
| > "The legend is this: at the battle of Hastings,
| > William the Conqueror, being faint from the lack
| > of food, saw in the distance, near the lines of
| > Harold, an apple tree in fruit. Expressing the
| > belief that some of the apples would revive him
| > until the fortunes of the day should be decided,
| > one of his attendant knights, Roger de Haskell by
| > name, dashed forward amid a shower of the enemy's
| > arrows and brought to his sovereign a scarf
| > filled with the fruit, whereupon the Conqueror
| > bade him bear as his crest a fruit-bearing apple
| > tree pierced by a flying arrow. The arrow seems
| > to have disappeared, but the apple-tree remains
| > as a reminder to posterity of the courage of an
| > early progenitor. "
| >
| > If anbody can point me where to look for more
| > information, I'd truly appreciate it.
|

| It certainly looks like a good story, but unfortunately, there are two
| problems with it. First, no Haskell can be shown to have been at the
| battle of Hastings, and second, familial coats of arms did not exist
at
| the time, and thus could not have been awarded for action in the
battle,
| even had a Haskell been there.
|
| ta

This thread: