GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-07 > 0964978301

From: Roz Griston <>
Subject: RE: BC Aboriginal people and Viking connections????
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:31:41 -0700

denis
perhaps you are thinking in modern terms..the last 500 years or so.

i can actually envision such a trek taking less than 10 years..and not
necessarily all a polar route. how long did it take louis and clark to
go across america?

if these viking people were captured and traded/sold or perhaps even
befriended by the natives..i do not see the land journey across the
continent as being an investigative exploration..more of a migration.

who knows perhaps they were outlawed vikings and they were motivated to
flee. we'll probably never know. i do know what i was told by a native
person..and actually it was about 5 natives who spent a great deal of
time with me teaching me how to properly pronouce the silent t of their
language. i wasn't doing a university thesis..i was just getting to
know some very interesting people on a one to one level.
roz