GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-07 > 0964993451

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Children of Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:44:11 +0100

Actually, Roger de Mortimer, Earl of March reportedly suffered a much
more miserable and gruesome death than just a simple hanging.

It's too spicy for mixed company. Pace.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"John Steele Gordon" <> wrote in message

| malinda jones wrote:
|
| > What kind of miserable death did Roger Mortimer have ?
| >
| > (I remember Edward II all too well...no need to go into that on my
account)

| > malinda
|
| Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, was hanged at Tyburn on November
| 29th, 1330. His death, I suppose, was a disgraceful one, being hanged
| instead of beheaded, but it was not particularly miserable, at least
by
| the standards of an age that could be very creative indeed when it
came
| to devising miserable deaths.
|
| The Oxford Companion to British History says of Roger Mortimer, He
"had
| no reservations in displaying his power, wealth, and position. This
| regime [he and his lover, Queen Isabella, ran the country after Edward
| II's overthrow] proved to be as corrupt and incompetent as that of the
| Despensers which it succeeded, . . ."
|
| Through his son Edmund and his daughter Katherine, he is ancestral to
| many, many people living today.
|
| Whether Edward II actually suffered *his* miserable death, of course,
is
| a question that in all likelihood will never be known for sure.
|
| JSG
| --
| http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jsggenealogy/Jsgordo

This thread: