GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-08 > 0965355876

From: LibbyH5149< >
Subject: Margarita de Castro y Sousa
Date: 04 Aug 2000 02:24:36 GMT

Possibly the reference to an African Queen of a British monarch referred to
Duchess Charlotte Sophie of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the wife of King George III
of Great Britain, (1738-1820). According to the Website of PBS’s Frontline,
which I visited some months ago, she was a direct descendant of Margarita de
Castro y Sousa, a black branch of the Portuguese Royal House. I have been able
to trace Margarita’s ancestry back to King Alfonso IV, O Osado, of Portugal
(1291-1357). Does anyone know how to connect her to Margarita from there? Does
anyone know where I could find more information on this African branch of the
House of Portugal?

Thank you,

Sincerely, Libby

This thread: