GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-05 > 0990380697

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Doggerel
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 18:44:57 +0100

1. No. Dead Wrong.

2. _Doggerel_, as an adjective, means "marked by triviality or
inferiority" ---- among other things. Don't expect words to have only a
*single* meaning, as one pogue here insists, with respect to
*Feudalism* ---- to do so is simplistic and reductionist. You mark
yourself as a member of the poguenoscenti when you do so.

3. This English adjective _Doggerel_ ---- meaning "marked by triviality
or inferiority ---- can then be applied to various nouns.

4. For example, we may use your squib, one-liner, post infra as an
example. We may say:

"Renia's doggerel post to SGM and SHM is amusing, but depressing."

Or,

"Renia's post, infra, is a doggerel post."

5. By the simple and well-known process of linguistic elision,
particularly in English speech, we then drop the second noun,
"post" ---- since it is clearly understood, and is excess baggage. So,
we can say:

"Renia's post, infra, is doggerel."

6. Next, we are quite within our rights ---- after examination of
scores, indeed hundreds, of Renia's posts ---- to say:

"Renia writes doggerel [posts --- understood] and posts [them] it to SGM
and SHM."

7. There ---- have I made it simple enough for you?

8. One of the great beauties of the English language, indeed its
genius ---- *one* of them ---- is that it allows for, permits ---- and
indeed *encourages* this sort of evolutionary process of linguistic
growth and flowering. The language is enriched, simplified [in some
cases], enlarged, made more colourful ---- and many fruits are borne to
feed the faithful. Even the poguenoscenti gain thereby, although many
of them are too witless to see it.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Verbum Sapienti.

John 5:14

Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit." Publius Virgilius Maro
(Virgil) [70-19 B.C.] [Aeneid I, 203] Aeneas, seeking to comfort his
men as they contemplate an arduous journey to Italy, reassures them
that, "Someday, perhaps, it will be pleasant to remember all this."

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor

"Renia" <> wrote in message

| "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
|
| > No Sale for Gordon.
| >
| > _Doggerel_ clearly can refer to various types of writing including
| > either poetry or prose.
| >
| > Of course, the differences between poetry and prose are often
| > miniscule ---- and are by no means theological ---- less so with
every
| > year that passes.
| >
| > If one wants to differentiate precisely between the two, one should
say
| > _doggerel verse_ and _doggerel prose_.
|
| Bollocks, as they say. Doggerel is "Comic verse".
|
| Renia
|
| > Further, if Gordon thinks that the Middle English _dogerel_ derives
from
| > dog-Latin, then the burden of proof is on him and I look forward to
what
| > he comes up with.
| > --
| >
| > D. Spencer Hines