GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-05 > 0990470334

Subject: Harold Godwinson's heraldry
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:38:54 EDT

I know this will rile the 'spurts on this site but here goes anyway.

Somewhere in the past, I don't know how long ago, I read of a banner used by
Harold Godwinson. This banner was called "The Fighting Man" in my source. I
don't recall the source. It may have even been fiction. I just don't
remember and it was before I was interested in genealogy generally and
medieval genealogy specifically. If I recall correctly this banner was made
by either his mother or his wife or mistress and was used at Stamford Bridge
and at The hill of Senlac.

This is perhaps a complete fiction, made up to make a story more interesting;
but I would like to know if anyone else has run into such a banner. Just to
ease my mind.

Gordon Reid Hale

This thread: