GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-05 > 0990653899

From: "James Trabue" <>
Subject: Duvall-Durand
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:38:19 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C0E396.02A2D800

In view of the responses to my initial query, I am abridging an article =
which I submitted several years ago to the Duvall Society. I think it =
sums up the situation. I had hoped the Society would take the lead in =
employing someone in Rouen to check into the matter, but they did not do =
so.

In some papers which had come into my possession from my mother, was a =
lineage sent to her purporting to have been the French ancestry of =
Mareen Duvall, the immigrant. The source was attributed to an article by =
Dr. John Hood. Other alleged sources are a lineage from the Mormon =
records and two books by an author named "Perran" purportedly titled =
"The Duvals of France" and "Registry of Maryland's Heraldic Families". =
The lineage is as follows:

1. Mareen Duvall, the immigrant

2. Thomas Duvall, Lord of Ange in the province of St. Lawrence and of =
the fief of St. Aubin married Nicola Stagard

3. Massiot Duvall, Lord, province of St. Lawrence and of the fief of St. =
Aubin married Margaret de Orbin

4. William Duvall, Lord, married Alex de Mamusin

5. Lawrence Duvall married Lady Agnes de Marmiens

6. John Duvall living in 1375

7. Robert Duvall married Lady Jane de Pritot

8. Hugh Duvall married Adilena --

While this lineage has not been (and should not be) generally accepted =
because of the doubtful sources, it is important because it may provide =
a clue to further research. It has generally been assumed that Mareen =
the immigrant came from La Val in the Department of Mayenne because that =
was the name he gave his first plantation, and presumably any research =
to locate him was in that area.=20

However, there is a reference to a Marin Duvall, son of Marin Duvall and =
Catherine Dubreuil of St. Aubin, Normandy who was married in Quebec on =
18 September 1659 to Anne-Antoinette Durand daughter of Guillaume Durand =
and Marguerite Le Tellier of St. Godard de Rouen, Normandy.

(According to The Early Settlers of Maryland by Skordas, a William =
Durand immigrated there in 1648. He was prominent in Anne Arundel and =
Howard Cos.)

Dictionnaire g=E9n=E9alogique des familles du Qu=E9bec des origines =E0 =
1730 by R=E9n=E9 Jett=E9 with the collaboration of the Program of =
research of demographic history of the University of Montreal which was =
published in 1983 by Les Presses de l'Universit=E9 of Montr=E9al =
indicates that the Canadian

Marin was killed by the Iroquois a little before 14 July 1661. He had a =
son,

John who was born on 20 June in 1660 and died 17 March 1703 and buried =
18 March 1703 at Chateau Richer (Canada?). A daughter, Marie Madeleine =
was born posthumously in January 1662. The widow remarried in 1661 =
Nicolas Delaunay. The exact entry in Jette is:

"DUVAL, Marin (Marin & Catherine DUBREUIL or BUREL) de St. Aubin =
(lequel?), Normandie; d. ***** m. 18-09-1659 Qu=E9bec (ct 04 Audouart)=20

DURAND, Anne-Antoinette *** de St.-Godard, v. ar. et archev. Rouen, =
Normandie (Seine-Maritime) ***"

The mention of "St. Aubin" in both instances and the name, Marin, which =
is quite possibly a surname used as a given name indicates that the two =
Marin Duvalls may have been related and both may have come from =
Normandy. The reference to the records at Rouen indicates a recent =
search may have been conducted for the Canadian work. =20

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C0E396.02A2D800

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>In view of the responses to my initial query, I am abridging an =
article which=20
I submitted several years ago to the Duvall Society.&nbsp; I think it =
sums up=20
the situation.&nbsp; I had hoped the Society would take the lead in =
employing=20
someone in Rouen to check into the matter, but they did not do so.</P>
<P>In some papers which had come into my possession from my mother, was =
a=20
lineage sent to her purporting to have been the French ancestry of =
Mareen=20
Duvall, the immigrant. The source was attributed to an article by Dr. =
John Hood.=20
Other alleged sources are a lineage from the Mormon records and two =
books by an=20
author named "Perran" purportedly titled "The Duvals of France" and =
"Registry of=20
Maryland's Heraldic Families". The lineage is as follows:</P>
<P>1. Mareen Duvall, the immigrant</P>
<P>2. Thomas Duvall, Lord of Ange in the province of St. Lawrence and of =
the=20
fief of St. Aubin married Nicola Stagard</P>
<P>3. Massiot Duvall, Lord, province of St. Lawrence and of the fief of =
St.=20
Aubin married Margaret de Orbin</P>
<P>4. William Duvall, Lord, married Alex de Mamusin</P>
<P>5. Lawrence Duvall married Lady Agnes de Marmiens</P>
<P>6. John Duvall living in 1375</P>
<P>7. Robert Duvall married Lady Jane de Pritot</P>
<P>8. Hugh Duvall married Adilena --</P>
<P>While this lineage has not been (and should not be) generally =
accepted=20
because of the doubtful sources, it is important because it may provide =
a clue=20
to further research. It has generally been assumed that Mareen the =
immigrant=20
came from La Val in the Department of Mayenne because that was the name =
he gave=20
his first plantation, and presumably any research to locate him was in =
that=20
area. </P>
<P>However,&nbsp;there is a reference to a Marin Duvall, son of Marin =
Duvall and=20
Catherine Dubreuil of St. Aubin, Normandy who was married in Quebec on =
18=20
September 1659 to Anne-Antoinette Durand daughter of Guillaume Durand =
and=20
Marguerite Le Tellier of St. Godard de Rouen, Normandy.</P>
<P>(According to <U>The Early Settlers of Maryland</U> by Skordas, a =
William=20
Durand immigrated there in 1648. He was prominent in Anne Arundel and =
Howard=20
Cos.)</P>
<P><U>Dictionnaire g=E9n=E9alogique des familles du Qu=E9bec des =
origines =E0 1730</U>=20
by R=E9n=E9 Jett=E9 with the collaboration of the Program of research of =
demographic=20
history of the University of Montreal which was published in 1983 by Les =
Presses=20
de l'Universit=E9 of Montr=E9al indicates that the Canadian</P>
<P>Marin was killed by the Iroquois a little before 14 July 1661. He had =
a=20
son,</P>
<P>John who was born on 20 June in 1660 and died 17 March 1703 and =
buried 18=20
March 1703 at Chateau Richer (Canada?). A daughter, Marie Madeleine was =
born=20
posthumously in January 1662. The widow remarried in 1661 Nicolas =
Delaunay. The=20
exact entry in Jette is:</P>
<P>"DUVAL, Marin (Marin &amp; Catherine DUBREUIL or BUREL) de St. Aubin=20
(lequel?), Normandie; d. ***** m. 18-09-1659 Qu=E9bec (ct 04 Audouart) =
</P>
<P>DURAND, Anne-Antoinette *** de St.-Godard, v. ar. et archev. Rouen, =
Normandie=20
(Seine-Maritime) ***"</P>
<P>The mention of "St. Aubin" in both instances and the name, Marin, =
which is=20
quite possibly a surname used as a given name indicates that the two =
Marin=20
Duvalls may have been related and both may have come from Normandy. The=20
reference to the records at Rouen indicates a recent search may have =
been=20
conducted for the Canadian work.&nbsp; =
</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C0E396.02A2D800--

This thread: