GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-06 > 0991682809

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Continental Genes
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:26:49 +0100

Why just "who left descendants in England"?

The genes circle around and come back to England and America.

John of Gaunt and Constanza de Castilla.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Remedium Optimum Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia, Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor

"Clagett, Brice" <> wrote in message news:...

| I thought it might be of some interest to work up a list of medieval marriages between
| Englishmen (other than kings) and continental Europeans (other than Frenchwomen,
| defined as women entirely or primarily of French descent) which produced descendants
| in England and thus became part of the gene pool available to Anglo-Saxon Americans.
|
| I don't think such a list would be very long. Here's a start:
|
| 1. Edmund Crouchback, Earl of Lancaster, 1245-1296, and Blanche of Artois (French,
| but German and Greek on her mother's side).
|
| 2. Richard Fitzalan, 1st Earl of Arundel, 1267-1302, and Alasia of Saluzzo (Italian).
|
| 3. Sir William Montago, K.G., 1st Earl of Salisbury, c. 1302-1344, and Katherine
| Grandson/Grandison (Swiss on her father's side).
|
| 4. Edmund of Langley, K.G., 1st Duke of York, and Isabel of Castile (Spanish).
|
| 5. Sir Walter Blount, c. 1348-1403, and Sancha de Ayala (Spanish).
|
| 6. Sir Simon Felbridge, K.G., c. 1366-1422, and Margaret of Teschen (German-Polish).*
|
| 7. Sir Richard Wydeville, K.G., 1st Earl Rivers, d. 1469, and Jaquette de Luxembourg
| (more or less French, but largely of Italian, etc., ancestry).
|
| 8. Sir Thomas Knollys, K.G., governor of Ostend in 1586, and Ottilia de Merode
| (Netherlands).
|
| Who should be added?
|
| Sir John Hawkwood, c. 1320-1394, married, apparently as his second wife, Donnina
| Visconti (Italian), but it doesn't seem that that marriage led to any descendants in
| England.
|
| * It is generally agreed that Felbridge's wife Margaret was daughter of Przemyslaw (Primko),
| Duke of Teschen and Glogau, but the identity of her mother seems uncertain. The duke
| certainly had as wife Elska of Beuthen-Kosel, whose ancestry is known. He may or may
| not have had another wife, Katarzyna. ES 3:16 doesn't show Margaret at all as among
| the Duke's children, and it seems likely that she was illegitimate. Does any one know or
| have an informed guess?

This thread: