GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-06 > 0991781621

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:53:41 +0100

1. It does appear that Serban was unaware of what he ---- or rather his unleashed computer ---- was doing. He says he was not ---- and I see no convincing reason to disbelieve him.

2. This is why simply "trusting the person who sent it to you" as a criterion of authenticity ---- is entirely bogus. I know people who have received viruses and worse from their kids away at college. One guy lost use of his machine for two months before he got everything sorted out.

3. We could minimise some of these problems if folks would simply stop sending BOTH a post and an email to the person to whose post he or she is responding.

4. Some folks see a lot of these incoming emails ---- and get lazy and casual as to how they treat them. If they saw fewer ---- perhaps they would be more careful. No Guarantees.

5. Bad Rice.

6. Yes, I realise that the infected email is not a "voluntary" transmittal ---- but we have some folks here who are unaware as to whether they are sending a post or BOTH a post and an email.

7. Just the POST is normally quite enough ---- why double up?

Fortem Posce Animum.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Disinfectus Optimus Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia, Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor

"Marin-Guzman" <> wrote in message news:B7439D5D.2A21%...

| Yep,
|
| "Serban Marin" <> has sent me TWO infected emails.
|
| Luckily I'm on Mac and I'm well protected.
|
| I hope that you're doing it unawares Serban... I really hope so.
|

| Pedro Marin-Guzman
|
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|

| > From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
| > Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
| > Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:30:11 +0100
| > Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT
| >
| > Your premise is quite false.
| >
| > I do NOT receive a message from Marin every time I report on a virus.
| >
| > 1. He may not KNOW he is infected.
| >
| > 2. He may not CARE that he is infected.
| >
| > 3. He MAY even be doing it deliberately.
| >
| > THINK!!!!
| >
| > Screw Your Head On Right.
| >
| > Looking on the bright side, we have raised the Level of Awareness of the
| > Threat.
| >
| > That is a Good Thing.
| >
| > The more people who are AWARE ---- the fewer will have stupid opinions,
| > similar to your own.
| >
| > Deus Vult.
| > --
| >
| > D. Spencer Hines
| >
| > Lux et Veritas et Libertas
| >
| > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
| > nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]
| >
| > Sol Remedium Optimum Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia, Legem
| > Destruit Moralem.
| >
| > "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in
| > your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet,
| > Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166
| >
| > All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.
| >
| > All original material contained herein is copyright and property of the
| > author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
| > attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
| > given, in writing.
| >
| > Vires et Honor
| > "Robert W Fay" <> wrote in message
| >
| > | Yes, and everytime you post that you have gotten another
| > | from him, his computer will dutifully send you yet another
| > | copy of the worm!
| > |
| > | Its [sic] easy just to temporarily killfile his address till he gets his
| > | computer cleaned up.
| > |
| > | Bob Fay
| > |
| > | On 5 Jun 2001, at 20:10, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
| > |

| > is too dumb to own a computer.

| > and who was totally unaware that she was propagating the virus.
| > clean.
| > and it turns out to contain a virus, a worm or a Trojan ---- you just *may*
| > have them by th ...'

This thread: