GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-06 > 0992937555

From: "Leo van de Pas" <>
Subject: Re: Lady Godiva
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:59:15 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynda <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 2:12 PM

> If this is not so, then many genealogists are barking up the wrong tree,
as
> I have just been visiting numerous sites, all declaring a sibling
> relationship between William the Conqueror and Lady Godiva.

Dear Linda,
Yes, with Brigitte Gastel Lloyd I make Internet Genealogical sites
and we try to be as correct as possible. We invite comments for corrections
and additions, and we receive both.

Having said that, do not accept what you see on the Internet, always try to
obtain confirmation elsewhere, preferably from printed sources. Use the
Internet as a guideline but not as gospel.

According to ES Volume II Tafel 79, Robert the Devil, Duke of Normandy had
two children by Harlette (here called Henriette)
1.William the Conqueror
2.Adelaide/Adela who died circa 1081/84
she married (1) Enguerrand II Count of Ponthieu
she married (2) Lambert de Boulogne, Count of Lens
she married (3) Eudes III Count of Champagne

According to ES Volme III/4 Tafel 694B
Harlette/Herleva/Henriette married Herluin Vicomte de Conteville,
and they had three (perhaps four) children
1.Odo, Earl of Kent, Regent of England, Bishop of Bayeux
2.Robert, Count of Mortain, Earl of Cornwall
3.Emma married Richard Le Goz, Vicomte d'Avranches
and the next child is maried under (II) presuming her to be by the second
wife of Herluin de Conteville, but not certain
an unnamed daughter who married Guillaume, Seigneur de La Ferte-Mace

Turton (be careful with this source)
gives "the" Lady Godiva no parents, and has her married to Leofric Earl of
Mercia

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (Michael Swanton) mentions the death of Leofric
but nothing about Godiva.

Frederick Lewis Weiss "Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists who
came to America before 1700" 7th Edition,
page 151 :
Leofric, d.Bromley co.Stafford (snip) married probably by 1030 (possibly as
her second husband) Godgifu (or Godiva), born probably ca.1010, sister of
Thorold of Buckingham, sheriff of Lincolnshire. Godgifu's ancestry is
uncertain, but she was evidently of an old, noble family. She is the "Lady
Godiva" of legend.

I hope this is more reliable than what you see on the Internet.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas

This thread: