GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-07 > 0994189824

From: A Channing <>
Subject: Elizabeth Carew
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:50:24 -0400

> On June 30 Adrian Channing wrote: "The tomb brass of Sir Walter
> and Lady Dalyngrigge (c 1390) are at Fletching church, Sussex."
>
> Mills Stephenson's "A List of Monumental Brasses" (1926) page 508
> says under Fletching: "Sir ____ Dallingridge, in arm. with arms on
> jupon, and w. in mantle, c. 1380, double canopy with entablature
> mutil.; incscr. lost." No mention of the knight's first name, and
> no mention of the Lady. What evidence shows that this brass is of
> Walter? It seems unlikely if, as I understand it, he lived at
> Spridlington, Lincolnshire. Also, I have seen no indication that
> Walter was a knight.

The National Trust source I used has a picture of the brass which includes
a wife. The brass is in knight's armour.

The NT Bibliography includes Davidson-Houston; Mrs "A List of Monumental
Brasses in Sussex" Sussex Archaeological Collection lxxvi. 1935, pp 87-7.
Perhaps this is the source the NT used to identify the Brass as Sir Walter,
but there are other sources listed from which it may have come from.

What is the source that he lived at Spridlington, Lincs. Dallingridge is a
Sussex name (derives from a name of a ridge/cliff near East Grinsted).
Even if he had moved away from Sussex, it does not seem unreasonable to
request burial where his family were (brother Sir Edward, builder of
Bodiam, daughter m1 Sir R Barnes, who IIRC was of East Horsley - almost
Sussex, and m2 Sir Thomas Lewknor a leading Sussex family.)

©Adrian (Surrey, UK) <>
NB There should _not_ be an(y) attachment(s) to this plain text message

This thread: