GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-07 > 0995036010

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: RE: Malcom III of Scotland
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:53:30 -0500

David Mowbray wrote:
Robert de Mowbray was nephew of Geoffrey de Mowbray, Bishop of
Coutances, and IIRC Geoffrey was the first Norman Earl of
Northumberland. Robert succeeded him, but rebelled against the king and
was imprisoned. Reputed to have been held for 30 years in dungeon in
Windsor.
Unless anyone can correct my impression!
David

D. Spencer Hines responded with:
Indeed.
Robert de Mowbray, Earl of Northumberland, rebelled against William
Rufus in 1095 ---- in a conspiracy designed to put Stephen, Count of
Aumale, on the throne. Stephen was the nephew of William The Conqueror.

William Rufus marched north, captured Robert and threatened to blind him
unless his Countess also surrendered with her forces.

Robert was deprived of his Earldom and reportedly imprisoned at Windsor
Castle for 30 years, until Henry I allowed him to become a monk at St.
Alban's, where he died.
Vide CP IX:705-6.--
D. Spencer Hines

PLM: Spencer, since you seem to support David's point that *Geoffrey was the
first Norman Earl of Northumberland*; I was hoping you would let me know
what primary or secondary source vouches for this claim?
Reading John of Worchester from the unjust execution of Earl Waltheof of
Northumbria in 1075, through to the year 1088, I find no one named as Earl
of Northumbria. In 1088, England revolted against William (II) and wanted to
put Duke Robert of Normandy on the throne instead. JW records: *Other
conspirators were Geoffrey, bishop of Coutances, with his nephew, Robert,
earl of Northumbria,*
So then, when was Geoffrey made Earl of Northumbria and when/why did he
relinquish this title to his nephew Robert, while he was still alive?

Cheers,
Phil

--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Having taught in a university history department for more than 36 years
now, I would seek objectivity from anyone on the street before asking an
academic colleague in history." Norman Ravitch, Professor of History,
University of California, Riverside in _ The Wall Street Journal _ , 5
Nov 1998, p. A23.

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"David Mowbray" <> wrote in message
| In article <>, Carey
| Haskell <> writes
| >From the official Alnwick Castle website
| >(http://www.alnwickcastle.com).
| >"The first important event with which Alnwick is connected is the
| >death of Malcolm Canmore, King of Scotland, in 1093, on a ridge about
| >a mile north-east of the Castle. Here he was attacked by Mowbray, the
| >first Norman Earl of Northumberland, his army was routed, he was
| >killed and his son Edward mortally wounded."
| >

| >Taken from page below.
| >

>http://www.alnwickcastle.com/alnwickcastle/staticpages.nsf/web%5cstatic
pages/his
| >tory?opendocument
| Robert de Mowbray was nephew of Geoffrey de Mowbray, Bishop of
| Coutances, and IIRC Geoffrey was the first Norman Earl of
| Northumberland. Robert succeeded him, but rebelled against the king
and
| was imprisoned. Reputed to have been held for 30 years in dungeon in
| Windsor.
| Unless anyone can correct my impression!
| David
| --
| David Mowbray | Mowbray One-Name Study (G.o.ONS 986). Also seeking |
| Cheltenham, UK | HERBERT (GLS); TANK (UK) + SCHNEIDER in WUE/GER |