GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-07 > 0995131824

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Malcom III of Scotland
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:30:24 +0100

Hilarious!

This just gets funnier and funnier. We now have the blind [Mowbray]
leading the lame-brained and the lazy [Moody].

If Mowbray thinks that Geoffrey, Bishop of Coutances, was Earl of
Northumberland ---- the Burden of Proof is clearly on his shoulders.

Stand and Deliver.

How Sweet It Is!

Deus Vult.

Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum.
--

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Having taught in a university history department for more than 36 years
now, I would seek objectivity from anyone on the street before asking an
academic colleague in history." Norman Ravitch, Professor of History,
University of California, Riverside in _ The Wall Street Journal _ , 5
Nov 1998, p. A23.

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

Vires et Honor.

"David Mowbray" <> wrote in message

| In article <>, Phil
| Moody <> writes

| >D. Spencer Hines wrote:

| >No, I said nothing about Geoffrey.

| >My source is right in the post ---- CP ---- with a complete citation.
| >--

| >D. Spencer Hines
| >
| >PLM: Hines, I will not go as far as to say you are ignorant
concerning
| >Geoffrey, bishop of Coutances but I can and will assume you are
unwilling to
| >answer my questions and therefore , thanks for nothing.
| >
| >Cheers,
| >Phil
| Hi Phil,
| I will offer a suggestion, unlike Hines, who responded to my posting
by
| quoting back exactly the same information that appears on my web-site.
| "I don't wish to know that!" N. Seagoon
|
| To be fair, he added a source note.
|
| A visit the church in the Normandy village of Montbrai reveals two
large
| portraits of Geoffrey and a notice board full of articles about him.
One
| of these concerns his return from Angleterre to Coutances, and his
death
| in France.
|
| So, *maybe* (I make no claim!) he relinquished his Earldom to his
nephew
| on his return.
| David
| --
| David Mowbray | Mowbray One-Name Study (G.o.ONS 986). Also seeking |
| Cheltenham, UK | HERBERT (GLS); TANK (UK) + SCHNEIDER in WUE/GER |