Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-07 > 0995870859

From: David Read <>
Subject: Re: Naught Spencer's Great Avoidance
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:47:39 +0100

In article <>, Stewart, Peter <> writes

>Sorry, Todd - no-one who comes under such an unjustified attack in public
>should be left wondering why they have no supporters willing to identify
>themselves, whatever further nonsense this provokes. If the newsgroup can't
>accommodate that, too bad for the newsgroup.

" [I]... found myself in the J-2 (Intelligence) Division of Far East
Command. ... I enjoyed Japan, even if the later part of my tour was
spent in a locked 'Action Center' dealing with information just below
the 'Shoot bearer, burn before reading' category. (From these years I
learned that 'Military Intelligence is an oxymoron only to persons of
limited intellect and no knowledge of things military. Frequently -
as just before Pearl Harbor - an intelligence officer's major problem
is getting people to pay attention to uncomfortable facts)."

Colonel John R. Elting, USA Ret. and Military Historian (1911-2000)

Quotation from _A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars_,
revised edition, 1999.

David Read

This thread:

unable to load message /u1/textbases/g/gen-medieval/2001-07/0995767649