GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-08 > 0998697331

From: "Todd A. Farmerie" <>
Subject: Re: decode the acronyms please
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:55:31 -0600

"Dewayne E. Perry" wrote:

> please expand to point where i could find them - i am not familiar with
> these following:
>
> > Hull: F (so many errors, never corrected, don't waste your time)

The royal genealogy web site at the university of Hull, oft
discussed here.

> > Ormerod: B (has errors, but very helpful in most areas)

History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (or something
like that).

> > Harleian: B- (good clues, but can be very flawed if families provided
> > false information)

Publications of the Harleian Society - two series, one of various
church and other records, the other of the various heraldic
visitations (the latter is probably what Hap was refering to
here).

> > RFC: F- (the worst money I ever spent on a genealogy book)

Roderick Stuart, Royalty for Commoners

> > BXP: C (useful, but loads of errors)

Burke's Extinct Peerage

> > Marshall/Whitmore/Barrow: A (excellent resources to search surnames)

I don't have the titles on the tip of my tongue. These are
successive indexes of families studied in a broad range of
genealogical, historical, and antiquarian publications.

> > DNB: A- (the new edition in 2004 should improve reliability)

Dictionary of National Biography

(Who was it that was going to work on the acronym web page?)

taf

This thread: