GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-10 > 1003196623

From: "Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr." <>
Subject: TRUE and TESTED FACTS; (was re: Children of Zedekiah).
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:43:43 -0700

[The art of music, both vocal and instrumental,
occupies a high position in the Bible. Previous
to the time of David, the music of the Hebrews
seems to have been of the simplest character,
as direct efforts to cultivate music among them
appear first in connexion with the schools of the
prophets, founded by Samuel. Under David's
direction not less than four thousand musicians,
i.e. more than the tenth part of the tribe of Levi,
praised the Lord with "instruments" in the service
of the temple. A select body of two hundred and
eighty-eight trained musicians led this chorus of
voices, one person being placed as leader over a
section consisting of twelve singers.]
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02548a.htm

From a historical perspective, you will note
two parallel items; namely:
"efforts to cultivate music among them
appear first in connexion with the schools of the
prophets, founded by Samuel." AND "This
eastern princess was married to King
Herremon on condition, made by this notable
patriarch, that he should abandon his former
religion, and build a college for the prophets."
ALSO:
"David's direction [of] not less than four thousand
musicians" AND "that this royal party
brought with them many remarkable things.
Among these was the harp, . . ." To do an
intelligent, scholarly and critical review of this
connection would involve a thorough comparative
study of Irish records and [ the verses of
Hebrew Scripture (including the Psalm
titles and words such as " selah ")
[which] are annotated with . . .musical
accents.]
http://www.kingdavidsharp.com/pages/intro.htm

The Law of Arms in Medieval England
suggests " Heraldry's origins are unclear.
Various authors have posited Roman
standards, Teutonic totems, and Frankish
imperial seals as heraldry's ancestors."
http://pages.ripco.net/~clevin/lexarm.html

Others suggest that "Heraldry is not an
invention of the Middle Ages but a
continuation of identification used by the
Tribes [of Israel] during the exodus
from Egypt."
http://www.losttribes.org/ensigns.htm

The discussion under hand suggests any
Irish "Coat of Arms" would have derived
from a combination of "Priesthood" plus
Royalty "Coat of Arms". [ The institution
of David and of Solomon continued till
the Babylonish captivity.] See:
Symbolism of the Priesthood/Mediation
http://philologos.org/__eb-ttms/temple04.htm#Symbolism%20of%20the%20Priesthood/Mediation

Suggested ancient origins come from
The Pearl of Great Price "Book of Abraham"
http://scriptures.lds.org/abr/fac_3
[Fig. 1. . . . Abraham, sitting upon Pharaoh's
throne, had a crown upon his head,
representing the Priesthood, as emblematical
of the grand Presidency in Heaven;
with the scepter of justice and judgment
in his hand.]

[The use of symbols in battle, both
to assist identification and to inspire
awe, is ancient. The term "heraldry"
tends today to be used in a strict sense
for hereditary symbols displayed
primarily on shields and flags, probably
from around the end of the eleventh
century ~ but in its origins the system
may be readily recognised as dating
from biblical times. "Every man of
the children of Israel shall pitch by his
own standard, with the ensign of their
father's house." (The Book of Numbers,
Chapter ii, verse 34).

Later Herodotus wrote "And to them is
allowed the invention of three things,
which have come into use among the
Greeks: for the Carians seem to be the
first who put crests upon their helmets
and sculptured devices upon their shields."
(Clio ยง 171). . . .]
http://www.baronage.co.uk/bphtm-01/regency3.htm

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/~vctinney/
<http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/%7Evctinney/>;
"Free Coverage of the Genealogy World in a Nutshell"
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] -
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, [both editions]

Bryant Smith wrote:

> (Nathaniel Taylor) wrote in message news:<>...
>
>>"Todd A. Farmerie" <> wrote:
>>
>>>Mr. Tinney quoted:

>>>There was no such thing as a "royal arms" 2500 years ago.
>>>
>>Whenever I see the words "it is a well-known fact that...", I assume that
>>what follows is (a) false, or, at best, without foundation; and/or (b)
>>little-known, regardless of its veracity.
>>
>>Nat Taylor
>>
>My favorite in that genre is still Breasted's "undoubtedly ...".
>Whenever he had no evidence, he would write "undoubtedly ..."
>Bryant Smith
>Playa Palo Seco
>Costa Rica

This thread: