GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-10 > 1003779872

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: New Evidence for Parentage of Alice (Camoys) Hastings
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:44:32 +1300

Dear Douglas

Thank you for your message and for presenting the indentured contract to the
group.

The contract does show a keenness for Elizabeth Wydville to ally her family
with the family of William Hastings. However, can we be sure that it was
their Plantagenet blood that was important to her? She was about to marry
the king. Surely if she had waited, she could have arranged far more
brilliant matches for her son, as is what eventually happened -Thomas was
eventually created Marquis of Dorset and married Anne da. of Henry Holland,
Duke of Exeter which made his issue awash with Plantagenet blood, and nephew
by marriage of Edward IV. Look what she did for her sisters. Margaret became
Countess of Arundel, Anne became Countess of Kent, Catherine, Duchess of
Buckingham etc.

Frankly, I am puzzled by the motivation behind this contract UNLESS it was
to guarantee unswerving support from William Hastings, as her husband's best
friend, by a tie of kinship. She knew the forthcoming marriage would be
unpopular and needed all the support she could get. In that case, the issue
of Plantagenet blood would have been a small part of the equation.

If this is the case, how sure are we that this implies Alice Camoys was
daughter of Elizabeth Mortimer? Is the marriage contract between Eliz
Wydville and William Hastings sufficient evidence for it? Frankly I would
like to see something a little more direct and secure.

Cheers

Rosie