GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-10 > 1003878396

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: RE: Irritating Posts
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:06:36 -0500

Renia wrote:

That's about the gist of it. America was a penal colony before
Australia. I would imagine that as many Americans have convict
ancestors, as do Australians, if not more, for it went on longer!

PLM: Though this is really OT, I thought I should say something about
everyones usage of "convict", because I think it is misleading. The convicts
who were transported were not serial killers and rapists. They were people
who were convicted of worshiping another religion other than the state
religion, people who could not pay their debts in a timely manner because of
one hardship or another and those who were caught lifting a loaf to feed
their starving families.
These people would merely get a slap on the wrist now. The bankruptcy
courts are full of people now, who would have gone to debtors prison for the
same set of circumstances and faced deportation. Think of all the people on
welfare or the dole now and say to your self,"all of these people would have
been transported." I know of no one who has been deported for shop lifting.
We are talking about two completely different justice systems and therefore
you are comparing apples to oranges.
Many people have received traffic and parking tickets and have just plead
guilty and paid the fine, rather than hire an attorney for a trivial matter
when they know they are guilty any way. These people are literally convicts
because they have been "convicted" of a crime and as I fall within this
category of the population, I would still take exception to someone calling
me a convict. This is because when I hear "convict", I envision people who
have done hard time because they are a menace to society and not people who
have had a traffic ticket, or two:-)
I think everyone is placing to much emphasis on the word convict, when it
does not have the same meaning. I have not seen anyone mention "indentured
servitude" during this entire thread, because everyone is to busy using
convict in a derogatory sense, to insult first the Aussie's and now
Americans and I feel that it is wholly inappropriate in that context.

Cheers,
Phil