GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-10 > 1003988073

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: TRUE and TESTED FACTS; (was re: Children of Zedekiah).
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:34:33 +0100

Hilarious!

Hair-raising indeed.

Deus Vult.

"You're the top! - You're Miss Pinkham's tonic. - You're the top! -
You're a high colonic. You're the burning heat of a bridal suite in
use. - You're the breasts of Venus, You're King Kong's penis, You're
self-abuse. - You're an arch - In the Rome collection. - You're the
starch - In a groom's erection. - I'm a eunuch who - Has just been
through an op, But if, baby, I'm the bottom - You're the top." - [Famous
parody often attributed to Cole Porter, Yale '13 - 1934, but reportedly
actually written by Irving Berlin.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly. All original
material contained herein is copyright and property of the author. It
may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an attribution
to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly given, in
writing.
------------

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor.

"Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr." <> wrote in message

| There was a hair raising event in
| circa 390 B.C. when the Gauls
| sacked Rome. The Celtic image of
| long hair would have been in the Roman
| memory from personal experience. From
| a Roman cultural perspective, Varro
| states that P. Titinius Mensa brought the
| first barbers to Rome in 300 B.C.,
| as noted in Roman Papers, by
| Ronald Syme, Vol. V, published
| 1988, Chapter 35, Three Ambivii,
| [273], book page 626, Item # (5) (a),
| adducing his monument at Ardea (ii II, 10).
|
| The elder Pliny [Plin. Nat. 7.210 f.]
| adds that Scipio Africanus was the
| first Roman to shave daily. [Caesar f (L.)
| < caesaries long, flowing or luxuriant hair , . . .
| Originally it was derisory nickname of
| Gajus Julius, the illustrious Roman statesman
| and general (100-44 B.C.), who however
| became completely bald at an early age.]
| http://www.orbilat.com/Romance_Onomastics/Personal/Romance/Rom-C.html
|
| The derisory "caesar" therefore appears
| directly connected historically, to the Gauls
| as barbarians, within the time frame of Ugaine,
| and the Punic Wars, as noted: the "core truth".
|
| Respectfully yours,
|
| Tom Tinney, Sr.

This thread: