GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-10 > 1004145079

From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: Joan de Carreu, wife of Guy de Brian
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:11:19 -0500

Cdunn3 wrote:

> >Yes and no. This Joan was the mother of Elizabeth who married
> >Robert Fitzpayn, my source is C.P. II:361. This whole line was
> >much discussed in 1998, try the thread CP XIV: FitzPayn, Grey,
> >Bryan [VERY LONG!] @
> >http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fitzpayn&hl=en&lr=lang_en&rnum=
> >1&selm=19981020062403.28813.00003281%40ng153.aol.com for more
> >information.
> >
> >regards
> >Louise
> Louise and Doug,
> Thanks. I did mean Robert (not Richard)
> FitzPayn. Searching the reference given
> by Louise, Paul Reed indicates that
> Joan de Carreu was "said to be" daughter
> of John de Carreu.
> Is this the current thinking?
> Which John de Carreu ?
> Thanks again.
> Carl Dunn

Tim Powys-Lybbe has a strangeness at this point in his huge GEDCOM.
There is a disconnect between two Joan Carreu/Carews. Are these separate
families? He lists Joan as the daughter of the John Carew d.1324 by his
second wife Joanna Talbot. The Joan de Carreu he lists as wife of Guy de
Bryan
he lists as dying aft. 1348. Joan's grandddaughter Isabel FitzPayn is
listed as
being born before 1365. Joan's brother John Lord Carew is listed as
being born 1311.

Thus within this mess lies the chronological possibility of it being
either John.

We need expert help which, as fas as I can tell, does not lie
within the annals of soc.genealogy.medieval.

PErhaps someone can help.

Doug McDonald

This thread: