GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-11 > 1005591444

From: "Sutliff" <>
Subject: Re: Edyth Plantaganet
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:57:24 GMT

Deborah,

As already requested, dates, citations and locations would help us help you.
The name Edyth Plantagenet sends up a red flag as problematic. Plantagenet
was not used as a surname until the 15th century, so anyone named this
before that time is likely false. Many researchers have arbitrarily assigned
the surname Plantagenet to all members of the Royal Family prior to this
date, but this is something I believe is wrong and do not follow in my own
record keeping.

A search of the internet suggests this is a supposed Edyth Plantagenet,
daughter of William, Comte de Poitou and Cecily FitzJohn of Swanscombe,
Kent. If so, there is no basis for giving her the surname Plantagenet and
more importantly, Cecily FitzJohn had no issue by any of her three husbands
(Sanders:144). So if Edyth existed, she should not be placed as internet
genealogies show her or given this name. As I am guessing the supposed Edyth
is ancestral to Andrew, 1st Baron Windsor and the Windsors of Stanwell,
Middlesex, perhaps someone with better sources can comment on the
authenticity of the claimed earlier generations.

Sorry not to have helped more,

Henry Sutliff

"dcartmer" <> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> Would anyone have the line of Edyth Plantaganet
> and her husband William de Windsor? I am trying
> to track their children.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Deborah Cartmer

This thread: