GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-11 > 1006984329

From: "Paul C. Reed" <>
Subject: Re: Clemence de Verdun: Dispensations and Hostages
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:52:09 -0700

Chris Phillips wrote:
[snip]

> Indeed, unless I've missed something, are we sure that Maud was a daughter
> of Theobald Butler? (A couple of weeks ago I was certainly puzzled about how
> she fitted in.)

Maud was given her marriage portion (or at least inheritance) by Clemence
(Le Butiller) de Verdun after 1231. If she were daughter of Rohese (only
daughter or one of several daughters) by a husband other than Theobald le
Boteler, she would be heir of that husband, and that husband's lands.

> One point is that if Gladys is rejected as Joan's daughter, the
> consanguinity argument would not longer be an obstacle to a solution like
> this (just as it would not longer be an obstacle to Clemence le Botiller
> being Joan's mother).

Yes, I tried to point that out in a post I made.

Thanks,

Paul

This thread: