GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-01 > 1010803938

From: Arthur Murata <>
Subject: Re: Overall Reliability of Medieval Lineages
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:52:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Renia <> wrote:

> I've been saying something similar to this for some time
> regarding my own
> family, who were armigerous landowners, whose descendants
> and relatives are
> splattered all over the peerage. Still no royal
> ancestors. Not that I'm
> bothered, but I've said it before, it just amazes me how
> many Americans can
> attach themselves to royalty, when we Brits have such
> trouble.
>
> Renia
>
> Because Americans with immigrant ancestors from Europe
(that is to say, largely voluntary migrants with general
physical features somewhat in common, believed in the Great
Transformation - an invisible line that runs down the
middle of the Atlantic Ocean over which their ships bumped.
When they reached that line, they took off their various
heritages like old sweaters and threw them overboard (not
noticing that the old material stuck to the boat and came
along anyway). These brave souls did their children the
favor of forcing them to only use the English language
which, although foreign to "America", became the language
of choice in the part of America called the United States
and much of Canada, and did not encourage them to remember
the mother language. They continued the transformative
favor by distancing themselves often from their
grandchildren so that their grandchildren, at least, would
be "fully" American - brand new sweaters!

But remember the threads that stuck themselves to the old
timbers of those boats? The grand children and the
great-grandchildren noticed something missing. The sense of
emptiness and rootlessness grew until it became an ethnic
identity all of itself - as represented, perhaps, by old
airstream travel trailers and today by frequent flyer
miles. Some (those with less money and less warm parents)
found solace by identifying themselves with a group of
peers and thus we have street gangs - nothing new but
throughout the history of the colonized countries. Of
course, the disenfranchised (and sometimes the bored
enfranchised and noble) formed street gangs of their own in
Europe as well but at least they knew who they were - they
still had their original sweaters.

Americans seek that which America was supposed to reject -
hereditary unearned entitlements that make them feel
special. The upside is that many of these people undertook
a genuine study of their ancestral heritage and learned
about their context in the world. Unfortunately, many did
not and it is these unfortunate folks who are put into the
SGM meatgrinder when they venture forward with their
inventions. And, of course, the other, much shorter answer,
is that many Americans are legitimately descended from
royalty and many can prove it. The Transformation did not
affect them in the same way - they don't have to prove
anything or make something up in order to "belong". They
have learned that they do not have the entitlements of
their ancestors and consequently enjoy their continuing
education.

All you who are not in the U.S. or Canada - what do you
thinkg of the transatlantic Transformation? Did similar
phenomena happen to analogous travelers? Is something like
that happening now as places like England and France become
more multi-cultural and multi-racial? Good thoughts,
Bronwen