GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-01 > 1011040825

From: "Chris Phillips" <>
Subject: Re: A New Bohun Daughter Discovered
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:40:25 -0000

I wrote:
> >Thanks for those further details. If Hagger is correct in giving Theobald
no
> >fewer than 7 sons younger than Theobald II (who was b.1278), I'd guess
> >Margery's period of childbearing would extend to the early 1290s. I think
> >this would rule out the scenario of her being married twice in the
lifetime
> >of Humphrey (d.1265), with 15 years between the marriages, which I
thought
> >was the most natural interpretation of the Year Book report.

Cris Nash replied:
> S'what I was thinking. Unless Hagger's using the name 'Matilda'
> instead of 'Margery', however perplexing in itself, reveals something
> else - e.g. that this 'unitary' wife needs to be split and distrib'd
> among a couple of ladies.

Yes. If there was another wife, who was the mother of some of this
multitude, that would change things. So if Hagger has a reference to a wife
Matilda (perhaps in Theobald's will?) that would be useful to know.

I don't think there's any doubt that Margery was the mother of Theobald II,
though, judging by what the Victoria County History says about the descent
of Margery's quarter of Bisley manor. Even on the basis of Theobald's birth
date alone, the scenario mentioned above would be on the edge of
feasibility.

Chris Phillips

This thread: