GEN-MEDIEVAL-L ArchivesArchiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-01 > 1011937124
From: Kathie Weigel <>
Subject: re: Astley
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:38:44 -0800
Richard Ledyard wrote:
>In Cokayne Memoranda by A. E. Cokayne there is a pedigree >showing the wife
>of Richard de Herthill (d.1389) of Poley Hall, Warwicks., to be >Alice,
>daughter of Giles de Astley. The only child I have ever found >of a Giles
>de Astley was that mentioned in the recent series of posts on >Reginald
>Basset of Wolvey. That Giles' son, Thomas, had a daughter >Alice, that
>married a Champernoun. Does anyone know of any siblings of >Thomas de
>An aside, Farnham shows Thomas marrying Elizabeth, daughter of >Richard
I have no siblings listed for Thomas, but have the following pedigree--the
majority from CP I, pp. 283-284, Astley of Estleigh:
1. Phillip Astley, Lord of Astley, co. Warwick liv. 1165
2. Thomas Astley m. Maud, sister & heir of Roger Camville of Creek
3. Walter Astley
4. Sir Thomas of Astley, of Astley & Bently, co. Warwick, slain at Evesham
4 Aug 1265 m1. Joan da. of Ernald du Bois of co. Leicester
5. Andrew, Lord Astley, of Astley & Bentley d. shortly bef. 18 Jan 29 Edw.
I (1300/1) m. Sibyl.
6. Nicholas, Lord Astley, age 24 at his father's death, d.s.p. 1325
6. Sir Giles of Astley d. bef. 1316 m. Alice (liv. 1344/5), 2 da. &
coheir of Sir Thomas Wolvey
7. Thomas, Lord Astley, succeeded his uncle Nicholas, liv. 3 May 1366 m.
bef. 1336/7, Elizabeth, da. of Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick by Alice
da. of Ralph de Toeni
Thomas left a son William, 4th Lord Astley (CP I, 284) and a daughter,
Alice, who m. as his first wife, Sir Richard Champernoun, of Modbury, co.
Devon, b. 29 June 1344, Suddon Manor, co. Somerset d. ca. 1418/9, Modbury.
(see Ronnie Bodine--"Champernoun of Modbury part 1", Gen-Med, 30 Jan 1999
and Todd Farmerie--"additions & corrections to Weis...", Gen-Med, 1 Aug 1995)