GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-03 > 1015263310

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Judith (of Flanders?) m. (1) Tostig (2) Welf (part 2 of 2)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:35:10 -0000

Hilarious!

Finton, professed editor and publisher of a "genealogical journal" [a
stretch], proves that he doesn't even know basic genealogical
terminology.

Fraud and Piker.

Hilarious!

Deus Vult.

"Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Odi profanum vulgus et arceo."

Quintus Aurelius Stultus [33 B.C. - 42 A.D.]

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you.

author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with an
attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
given, in writing.

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor

writes:

| << Why is this {marriages between people related in the 7th degree
were in
| theory
|
| prohibited at this time] not considered to explain the grounds of the
papal
| prohibition? >>
|
| Actually, they are ... and I was about to point one out myself.
However, it
| sometimes seems quite absurd that the church and the families knew
their
| genealogies back to the seventh degree while we struggle to find a
link in
| primary records. This is one of my major problems with this entire
field --
| that the law required knowledge of descents and they were known at the
time.
| The information on degrees of relatedness must have been kept in forms
other
| than primary records -- family traditions, etc. Genealogies were not
| researched in a modern manner to prove the legalities of marriages.
| Obviously, the church already had the information in most cases ...
such as
| this one, convoluted and complex as it may be.
|
| The closest common descent I can find for Mathilda of Flanders and
William is
| as follows. There is one generational difference between the two, so
the
| degree of relatedness is ______?
|
| CHART I
|
| Fulk II the Good = Gerberge
| |
| Geoffrey I, Coount of Anjou = Adela of Vermandois
| |
| Ermengarde d'Anjou = Conan I, Count of Bretagne and Rennes
| |
| Judith of Brittany = Fulbert of Falaise
| |
| Robert II the Devil = Arlotta the tanner's daughter
| |
| William the Conqueror = Mathilda of Flanders
|
| CHART II
|
| Fulk II the Good= Gergerge
| |
| Adhelheid of Anjou = William II, Count of Arles
| |
| Constance of Toulouse = Robert II the Pious
| |
| Adele of France = Baldwin V, Count of Flanders
| |
| Mathilda of Flanders = William the Conqueror
|

| Kenneth Harper Finton
| Editor and Publisher
| THE PLANTAGENET CONNECTION

This thread: