GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-03 > 1016197422


From: (Bryant Smith)
Subject: Re: Nepociano of asturias
Date: 15 Mar 2002 05:03:42 -0800
References: <20020314094237.75144.qmail@web13907.mail.yahoo.com>


(=?iso-8859-1?q?maria=20emma=20escobar?=) wrote in message news:<>...

<SNIP>
>
> The name Nepociano was not unknown in the Asturian
> country. There was another one, older than our
> Nepociano, who signed the "Donación de Silo" in 775.

Is this Silo the one who was king 774-783, son-in-law of
Alfonso I?

> He signed the third, after Silo and I think this is a
> clue about his importance because he could have been a
> relative of King Fruela´s wife, the "vascona" named
> Munia. He could have come to Asturias with that queen
> Munia.

You've lost me here. Why do you say he could have been
a relative of Munia? What might be TAF's basis for
calling her "Munia Froilaz of Cantabria?" And I have
to ask again, what does "vascona" mean? Basque? Biscay?
are those two words related? Is there a suggestion that
this older Nepociano may have been related to the usurper?

> But ¿what happen if Munia was not really a
> queen and only a prisoner of king Fruela, as a
> tradition said? Or Munia could be first a prisoner and
> after the queen?

Where and when was this tradition first recorded?

<SNIP>

> That is another point of interest in the chronicles:
> When Alfonso II died, Ramiro was in Bardulia (old
> Castilla and Alava) looking for his second wife, but
> he doesn't form an army in Bardulia, where he was. He
> travelled through the entire north and formed his army
> in Galicia. ¿Why? ¿ Because Bardulia would be with
> Nepociano? Would be this fact a proof of the
> Nepociano´s family origins in Bardulia?

This is getting a little chaotic. I'm profoundly ignorant
of the geography involved, but from what I understand,
Bardulia was south of the Asturias and Cantabria north,
even across the mountains; and Galicia on the south shore
of the Bay of Biscay and ethnically separate from the rest
of Spain; and if "vascona" refers either to Basques or to
Biscay, then Munia was a northern woman and it becomes
difficult (for me) to reconcile a Bardulian origin for the
older Nepociano with the notion that he may have come to
the Asturias with Munia.
>
> The "unnamed" sister of Alfonso II has a name: Jimena,
> but she is only a tradition. There are not any proofs
> about her existence. But if she existed, the name
> could be a proof about her mother origins. Jimena was
> a vascone name, used in the Navarra royal dynasties.
> ¿ Could has been Munia a member of the Jimena dinasty?
> Or from the "Iñiga" dinasty if both were related?

Once again we encounter TAF's full name for her mother,
and it becomes even more important to know where he got
it.

<SNIP>

I have to say that your contributions have been among
the most valuable I've encountered in this newsgroup,
and I hope they will continue!

Saludos
Bryant Smith
Playa Palo Seco
Costa Rica


This thread: