Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-03 > 1016798425

From: Cristopher Nash <>
Subject: Re: Plantagenet Descents from Ancient Judea
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:06:14 +0000

"Shawn Potter" <> wrote in message

Perhaps we never will know the identities of
> Joseph's maternal ancestors. But, recent advances in scholarship on
> Khazaria (see Kevin Brook's excellent web pages) suggests that we
> shouldn't give up hope before we consider all the evidence. And the
> way royal families form marriage alliances--usually with royal or
> important families of the same faith--suggests that some of Joseph's
> maternal ancestors probably were Jews from the Middle East.
> Was Taksony a son of Zoltan's Khazar wife? Was Zoltan's Khazar wife
> descended from Joseph's ancestors? Did Joseph's ancestors include
> Jews from the Middle East? I don't know; but, I think this line of
> inquiry should be investigated.

This'll be the first time I'll have recommended a work of fiction in
this forum, but because of the peculiar nature of the work -- i.e.
the density of its historical scholarship, not to mention immense
ingenuity, on the subject at hand -- I can't resist it, though the
book is not for those with digestive difficulties. It's Milorad
Pavic, Dictionary of the Khazars, written in Serbo-Croatian, pub'd in
English in several editions since 1988 (including one by Penguin).
Just as a hint as to what you may be in for: It appears in two
editions - one 'Female', one 'Male', the difference being that one
paragraph is, as the author says, "crucially different".

Good luck!

This thread: